June 22, 2009

Knowing When To Let Kids Help

Being a mother is a great feeling, sometimes.  I look at my children and I am amazed.  Like today, my oldest got up and made his bed ( yes he is 4 1/2 and it is not the way I like it but I have to let him do it...and yes it took me saying go make your bed but he did it and that is all that matters).  Then he got himself dressed.  I am so proud of him and being able to do that. 
 
My son's version of making his bed


My little guy helped me clean up the living room so that I could vaccum.  It tripled the time it would have taken me to do it myself, but I let him help.  I have learned while it is so much quicker, and neater to do things myself, allowing my children to have a part in what I am doing is so important.

Seeing the sense of pride and accomplishment when they finish a small task that I ask them to do is such a good feeling.  Now to go along with that - learning how to give up control is a different story.  I have only 24 hours in a day, the same as everyone else and finding the time to do everything is impossible.  Now I can do the cleaning and everything myself, and it would save me time, but what am I teaching my children?

I also have realised that, as the sign that my son gave me from preschool for mother's day said - If my house was any cleaner I would be neglecting my children, and that is true.  I do the essentials, and a little more but my focus is on my children.  I do what I can, and I am proud to say my house is pretty clean for 2 boys.  I know I can do more, but the fact is if I were to do more then I would not have any time to play with my children, or any time for me!

No comments: